Monday, September 15, 2008

Blessing the Thorn in the Flesh

Blessing the Thorn in the Flesh

Bless you Wise and Holy One
For your Word made
Thorn in the flesh
For answering No when I prayed
To have my thorn removed

Bless you
For the thorn of alienation that
Drives me deep into inner desert
To face my need to please –
The desert where you recreate me
Deeper than popularity
Wider than the majority
Truer than hypocrisy

Bless you
For the thorn of hardship that
Helps me get the point –
That my thorn can serve
As another’s therapy
That the best healer
Is a wounded healer
That the hardship I cannot change
And that threatens to embitter me
Can change me – for the better

Bless you Wise and Hoy One
For this epiphany –
That praying away Good Friday
Prays away Easter too

Bless you,
For answering No when I pray
To have a thorn removed
Bless you Wise and Holy One
For your Word made
Thorn in the Flesh

-Norm S.D. Esdon

No comments: