Thursday, May 24, 2007

Alaska Diary Day 1 - Sunday May 6

Who doesn't like waking up at 4 am? Really?

Our plane left at 6:30 am, so i had to wake up at 4 to get ready and get to the airport on time. The day before wasn't the best. I was getting over bronchitis, scrambling to get ready, got called to a meeting, and developed a crazy headache. all was fixed with a phone call to my lovely mommy who made me feel better.

anyway, my dad was so excited that he pretty much raced the buick to the airport. i've never seen a buick go that fast. we raced to the airport, checked in, went through security with surprisingly little problems considering i'm on lots of black lists due to my political activities (or at least, I like to think that Stephen Harper fears me). Got some coffee, flew in the tiniest plane seats you've ever seen, slept lots, drooled on Jan's shoulder, and landed in Vancouver.

We had about 6 hours until we were allowed on our cruise ship. Lucky for us my Uncle Dan, his partner, and his son came to pick us up and show us around Vancouver. It was good to get to know Christopher a bit as we are cousins but have never really seen each other since we live so far away. We drove around a bit, then stopped at the pier for some fun times!

It is pretty random to see small boats selling dead fish right off of the dock. I love that idea. I totally would have purchased some fish, shrimp, and sting rays if I didn't think they would rot in our cruise ship stateroom.

After the pier, we went to eat lunch at a pub. We were the first ones there, it was 11 am their time (but 1 pm our time so we were pretty hungry). My mom wasn't hungry, so she just had some booze. Way to booze it up at 11 am, mommy!

I had the best burger ever. We were on the coast so I wanted something fishy but not too expensive and decided on the "Cracked Black Pepper Tuna Burger." It was one of the best things ever. A tuna steak rolled in full black peppercorns, and lots of lemon juice. Rocking! Everybody else thought I was crazy to eat that, but it was honestly really good.

Then we headed over to Stanley Park. I had no idea how gorgeous it is! What the heck? I was thinking something akin to Assiniboia Park in the ‘Peg or Central Park in NYC, but this is really a bona fida park in the city. It was HUGE and had so much stuff in it! Beautiful trees, great views of the city, even an aquarium. I had no idea. I am so thankful for those civic leaders who decide to keep parkspace for citizens. Take a lesson, Sam Katz. Public spaces are very important.

Finally, it was time to go to the cruise ship. Vancouver is the CRAZIEST city to drive in. so many one ways, so much traffic, so confusing! I am glad I wasn't driving.

We made our way to Canada Docks, said goodbye to our gracious hosts, went through customs, did all of the paperwork, and headed onto the ships. It was so fast! And so easy! We boarded the ship, and found our stateroom. Now we are pretty cheap, so we got the cheapest staterooms available. Which means that they are tiny and on the inside so they have no windows. I felt a little claustrophobic the first few hours but then after that it was no problem at all.

We spent the rest of the night exploring the boat, eating, and trying to settle down from our excitement. Our trip has started!


Stephen said...

I think I like the fact that you address Sam Katz directly the most.

Kara said...

Your trip started off a million times better than mine did. Can't wait to hear the rest of the Alaskan adventures.

Tricia said...